Are you a modern day abolitionist? Do you love to share your love of history? Want to help others see the Power of Voice? The Harriet Beecher Stowe House is recruiting volunteer tour guides. Join us for an introductory Zoom training session on Saturday, April 24th at 10:00 am. At that meeting, we’ll schedule you for some small group in person training with our staff and experienced volunteers. Sign up here to get the Zoom link.
Become a Stowe House Volunteer
Do you want to bring history to life? Join the team at the Friends of the Harriet Beecher Stowe House and help share the story of Harriet Beecher Stowe, the fight to end slavery and connect visitors to Cincinnati’s rich past. Whether you have a lot of time to offer or only a little, we would love to have you join our team! Click below to see current volunteer opportunities:
Volunteer Job Descriptions:
- Docent (Tour Guide): Volunteers are trained to deliver tours focusing on the history of the House and the legacy of Harriet. Tours are aimed at the general public, which includes adults and sometimes children.
- Event Assistance: This role assists with set-up and clean-up for events. It may include our own speaker series or rentals by other organizations or individuals. It may also entail outreach activities in the community.
- Schools Learning Facilitator: Facilitate or assist during school field trips, homeschool group visits, and outreach activities in schools and community centers.
- Program Committee: The Program Committee meets to suggest program ideas and works to secure speakers and other presenters. It currently meets the second Monday, 5:30pm, every other month.
- Fundraising/Development Committee: The Development Committee organizes and implements ideas and policies related to fundraising activities. It currently meets evenings on the first Wednesday, every other month.
- Historical Research: Conduct research on a topic related to the House or the people associated with the House.
- Administration: Work performed within this group relates to a wide range of assignments in the provision of staff support to the internal operations and projects of the organization, including office assistance.
- Operations: Provides assistance with operations of the House. It could include maintenance, simple repair work, gardening, and other yard work.